Sunday 13 April 2014

At the Voortrekker Monument

Voortrekker Monument
We were at a Voortrekkers* function at the Voortrekker Monument in Pretoria on Saturday night.
Little Missy signed up with the Voortrekkers this year, and they were given certificates in a formal ceremony for being new members.

The Student loved her years as a Voortrekker, especially the camping weekends, and so we thought Little Missy would enjoy it as well. They teach the children practical life skills.

The moon making an appearance
Suikerbekkies (6-year olds) playing outside the monument 
Little Voortrekkers at the Voortrekker Monument 
Getting the certificate
I was not at the Voortrekker Monument for at least 15 years, and was surprised at how much is going on. We will be going back for a picnic in the nature reserve, to check out the restaurant, and to look at the museum exhibition in more detail.


*Voortrekkers: An Afrikaans cultural organisation such as the Girl Scouts or Boy Scouts of America.

4 comments:

  1. I loved Voortrekkers! So much fun and learning, plus camps almost every school holiday sure cuts down on the "I'm so boooooored..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to that monument with my school on a trip when I was pregnant and all I can remember is climbing all those stairs!! But it was very interesting, historical. Then we went to the Freedom Park which is close by as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both my grade 1 and grade 3 is in the Voortrekkers but there was only two applications for grade R this year so no grade R this year

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Voortrekkers when I was in primary school. The camps were the best part.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments :D

Subscribe via email

Blog Archive

Mommalicious

Blogarama

Blogarama - Friends & Family Blogs