Friday 13 January 2012

A blog book swop is a great idea

Jeannette Walls: The Glass Castle
Robyn at I'm so not blogger (private blogger) came up with the great idea of a book swap in October last year. The invitation was on The Book Club Blog.
She asked for participants on her blog, and we each got a name to send one of our most cherished, favourite reads of all time... (Something like that!)

It turned out to be a real head bursting and soul searching (okay, not that bad!) exercise!
In the first instance we don't know the people we are supposed to send the books to. Only the little bit we learn about them from their blogs...

I got Shayne at [Time Out] (private blogger) to send my choice to.
Because I was afraid that she would have most  classics already, I bought her Paul Coelho's most recent publication, Aleph!
One of my favourite books of all time is of course his book The Alchemist.
I could not resist the temptation, and bought myself the same book! The only book I finished this December.
It is a fantastic read of autobiographical self-discovery and  the meeting of space and time in the Aleph!

My book that I got through the post was sent by Mel B from Simply Mel B blog: Jeannette Walls: The Glass Castle.
This is what she had to say about it:
"So glad you got it! It was my favourite read this year. It speaks to me so much of how the choices we make despite circumstances - and the power of the human spirit. It is a beautifully written, honest account of one womans experience as part of a highly unusual family."
I am still busy reading it!
I find it a bit upsetting to read about the hardships of the little ones in a very strange upbringing. It makes me want to "rescue" them, but it makes me also think about the upbringing of children and how sometimes hardships make them very independent and capable human beings.
Which is what every parent wants for their children...

It is a very good read, and I am so glad I have participated. I would not have known about it if if was not for this book swap!

Next year I'm in!

Thanks Robyn!

2 comments:

  1. The Glass Castle sounds like a good read - I enjoy reading about totally different lifestyles to my own.

    The Alchemist is a fave of mine too! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I loved the swop too! And the GLass Castle was also my favorite read last year.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments :D

Subscribe via email

Blog Archive

Mommalicious

Blogarama

Blogarama - Friends & Family Blogs